Friday, March 29, 2013

IV - "...why...?"



"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Mark 15:34

"At midday a darkness fell over the whole land, which lasted until three in the afternoon; and at three Jesus cried aloud, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachtani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Are these the starkest words in the Gospels? Jesus feels abandoned. What a consolation to all of us who feel alone during a rough period of our lives. Even though we believe, the consolations of God may seem far off.

In a Good Friday reflection, Timothy Radcliffe, OP, says that "even the experience of the absence of God is somehow brought within God's own life" by  these words.

Jesus makes these words, heard also in Psalm 22, his own, and they are there for us too when we feel anguish...

No comments:

Post a Comment