Sunday, November 8, 2009

New in the Job


How did I end up here!!!

I've been a social worker in Cork, a missionary in the West Indies, a school chaplain and a member of the Provincial Council of my congregation, the Presentation Brothers, but being the Vocations Director is probably going to be my most daunting task.

Everyone I meet is saying it to me- "that's a tough job". I feel like saying "I know!!!"

So, how do I face this job in 2009- one of the most difficult years in living memory for the Church in Ireland.


So, where do I get the strength to do it. Firstly, I believe in my own call. I believe that I was created by God to serve Him and His people in this way, as a religious brother.

Secondly, I believe in religious brotherhood. Religious brotherhood is fundamentally about being a brother to other people, especially the poor and those in need.

Thirdly, I believe in the Presentation Brothers, my religious congregation. I believe that our mission - To Form Christ In The Young - is still relevant today.

Finally, here's what I don't believe in- numbers. My role is not to press gang people into religious life. My role is to help young men to figure out the best path to follow to use their gifts and talents to serve God. However, I will unapologetically, offer religious brotherhood as a great way to achieve this.

Our Congregation is named after the Presentation of Mary. We celebrate her feast day on 21st November. My prayer today is that Mary's Yes at the Annunciation will find an echo in the lives of many Irish men and women in our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment